Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter Musings

So, today I'm going to ramble through a lot of theological 'maybes' and 'perhapses', mostly because Easter makes me think.  But I don't just write stuff like this, I write because I want you to think about it.  If you don't like what I say here, please don't panic.  This is just wondering.

So, here are a few things I think about Easter.

I think that we don't really understand how much suffering was involved in the work of the Cross.  Christ had been beaten; we think that only means they whipped him a few times.  But Roman beatings were absolutely brutal.  Onlookers might catch a glimpse of the victim's internal organs through the blood.  Imagine someone ripping your back off and adding a few more lashes to your liver for good measure.  But worse was the guilt.  We're miserable when we know that we did something wrong and disappointed someone we love.  Now imagine never having disappointed someone you love infinitely, and then the load of guilt from every person that ever lived suddenly hits you somewhere in the heart region.  You still aren't seeing it properly, but you're a little closer.

I think that Christ's final words on the Cross dramatically challenge some ideas about salvation that a lot of people hold.   They think that they have to add to God's grace, but He said, "It is finished."  Absolutely finished.  If it's already finished, how could we add to our own salvation?  You couldn't make a better cake by baking it twice.  You'd get a blackened disk that was once edible.  In the same way, you couldn't make finished salvation better.

And I think that the world would be a much better place if we remembered that Easter applies to every part of our lives, every day of the year.

HE IS RISEN!

Laura

No comments:

Post a Comment